Tuesday, July 6, 2010

They Aren't Bananas

When Romero was first introduced, I didn't think he was going to play a very big role. I thought he would be like Georgette or Harris-there for a part of a chapter, but no more than that. I mean, I'm sure they have a role, but I haven't figured it out yet. However, I think I've figured out why Hemingway wrote Romeo in.
He relates well with everybody. (Besides Mike, who is just a mean drunk) He is a true aficionado, "nothing conceited or braggartly about him" (page 178).
First, Romero helps further my point about Bill. He conforms to fit in, I think. He doesn't like Cohn, because Jake doesn't like Cohn. And now, during the conversation with Romero, he wants to fit in again. "Tell him I think writing is lousy" (page 179). I mean, he's talking to a bullfighter! A writer may seem pretty lousy when compared to something so.. crazy tough. I'm not saying I don't like Bill; I think he is actually one of the more normal characters. All I'm saying is that he isn't there to add more to the plot, he is there to bring out the characteristics of others. (I could give more examples, but I must move on).

And if there wasn't enough tension in Brett's love mess, I think Romero can top it off. What the heck, Brett? Stop leading everyone on. Romero is nice and all, but she only loves him because of his green pants. Before Romero, all the men in Brett's life fell in love with her prior to the story's beginning. But now we see how it happens! I want to like her so bad, but she is irresponsible and kind of mean.
I think she is the one who never "paid" Jake. Not the other way around.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same reaction, being surprised and how important Romero becomes

    ReplyDelete