Thursday, July 8, 2010

Isn't Pretty To Think So?

Brett claims she is going to go marry Mike now; he is her type of man. Of course, Romero didn't work out. She couldn't be her spunky self with him.
But why does she call Jake to rescue her? It's frustrating. I just knew that this book wouldn't have a happy ending.
But, I think Hemingway ended it appropriately. Remember that movie, My Best Friend's Wedding? The ENTIRE time we all wanted Julia Roberts to get the man, but in the end Cameron Diaz does. The little girl, Disney princess side of you is really disappointed and all, but the realistic side of you knows it was for the best.
Even though Brett and Jake will never officially be together, they will always share something "special". (I don't want to sound too corny). Both Jake and Brett seem pretty content with what they have and who am I to want more?

As frustrating as it is, I'm glad Hemingway didn't stoop to the cliche ending. It gives the novel a little edge.

4 comments:

  1. I do remember that movie. I'm pretty sure we watched it together.

    Anyway, I didn't really like Brett all that well, so I wasn't really keen on the idea of her ending up with Jake, who I rather liked, even though he talked about his traveling and bull fights a little too much. It made the novel seem sort of... pointless. That sounds awfully frustrated-and-lazy-student of me, but I just couldn't foresee an ending I would like, and indeed... nothing definitive happened. It was all rather ambiguous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But the girl in almost EVERY book/movie is like Brett.
    The girl always gets to choose the man she wants despite her terrible personality. i've learned to look past this flaw.

    I liked the ending.
    Would you have liked it better if Jake had told Brett off? Because a part of me just wants Jacob and Edward to tell Bella off and go find different, more deserving women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gotta love ambiguity! or hate it....i'm being ambiguous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, in fact, I would have preferred that. I just finished the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy, the third of which will be released in August, and the same thing is happening. It's frustrating because the books are really really good, but at the same time, I don't really want Katniss to get Peeta OR Gale.

    ReplyDelete