Thursday, July 8, 2010

I'm No Aficionado



I've read all the way through Book II and I really don't get the whole bullfighting thing. I really don't like reading those scenes, because I'm a bad visualizer and that's practically all you can do during them.
The one posted on here is actually about Hemingway (It actually takes an excerpt from The Sun Also Rises and sorta explains it, kinda). The second one is just a link explaining the process. It's pretty boring, probably what you'd expect.

So now I have an idea of what's going on, I can try to make something of it. From my mini research on youtube, I now know that Hemingway was actually a big fan of bullfighting. Maybe he really was an aficionado and maybe he really knew Montoya). He wanted to write this novel to, I guess, beat out Fitzgerald, who just wrote The Great Gatsby (At least that's what the lady in the video said). I'm thinking that he set his novel in Spain, so he could write about something he loved.
I'm kind of embarrassed, because I don't really think I know what the lesson is. I guess it could be what I posted in that other post. And if I was right, then this is how bullfighting could relate:
Give a little, take a little and stop once you have it. It's the same way you fight a bull."He had to get so close that the bull saw his body, and would start for it, and then shift the bull's charge to the flannel and finish out the pass in the classic manner" (page 221). When Romero fights, he has to risk his life for a tiny bit in order to get what he wants (which is to be able to kill the bull). I guess you could also say he is "paying" through taking a chance?

Sometimes things only make sense late at night.

1 comment:

  1. it's interesting to see some bloggers loving the bull-fighting scenes and others hating them (I preferred the scenes with the characters)

    ReplyDelete