Monday, July 5, 2010

And You Knew Where The Sea Was.

"You couldn't see the sea. It was too far away. You could see only hills and more hills, and you knew where the sea was" (page 98).

As I was reading, everything seemed to be prose prose prose (and rather boring). Then I got to this line and it screamed poetry to me. I liked it, so I highlighted it. And as I continued reading, my mind was racing trying to think of a way to post about it. So here it goes:

This quote is an analogy to life (in this case, Jake's life). The sea is where we want to be by the end of our life. I don't think it's heaven or anything, just the point that we all are working towards. Whether it's retirement, having a family, marrying the person of your dreams, or even just graduating from school, everyone has some sort of goal. We can't physically see "the sea", because there are too many obstacles, or hills, in the way. However, we can all imagine it-we know where it is. Every obstacle we face and defeat, our goal gets clearer. We think about it, dream about and work for it everyday. I think in Jake's case, he wants to end up with the girl. (probably Brett). I don't really think he wants his writing job to be the center of his life for his entire existence. I think in this little adventure he is currently enduring, he will face hills, but through it, he will find what he is looking for.

1 comment: