Thursday, July 8, 2010

And We're Taking the Coda

Throughout the entire book, I think I fell in love (notin love, love, but just, you know) with Jake. He is a character that a lot of people can relate to. And this was definitely, definitely my favorite part of reading this book, which is why I saved it for last.
I think it is really important for an author to have relatable characters. It's just too hard to read a book if you have no idea what's going on.
All the things that I thought had nothing to do with the overall theme actually helped develop a really great story. If he hadn't of added the side stuff, I wouldn't have known Jake the way I do now.

I loved Jake's take on being Catholic and prayer. I'm pretty sure the majority of people pray the same way he does. I couldn't help but laugh at this: "...so I prayed that I would make a lot of money, and then I started to think how I would make it, and thinking of making money reminded me of the count, and I started wondering about where he was, and regretting I hadn't seen him since that night in Montmarte, and about something funny Brett told me about him...I was such a rotten Catholic" (page 103).
No one really admits that they pray like this. It's rather embarrassing. So when Hemingway points out this human flaw, it draws people to like the character.

Good job, Hemingway.

2 comments:

  1. Heh, I did like that part. I had sort of forgotten about it. Jake was the most likable character for me, too. Almost all of the characters were really well-developed, though.

    ReplyDelete