Friday, July 2, 2010

Lady Ashley aka Brett


At this point in the game I cannot seem to figure out Brett! To be honest, the first scene she was in I thought she was a man. What I've concluded so far is her view on love. Jacob reads Brett through her eyes: "Her eyes had different depths, sometimes they seemed perfectly flat. Now you could see all the way into them" (page 34). As they talked about their mysterious past and how they should forget about it, Jake saw all the way into her eyes. But later on when he mentioned love, her eyes went flat.I don't know what this means, but I have a guess or two.
Fear. Her married life ruined the concept of love for her. Now that she is in the middle of her divorce, she is back to living the city-life of partying. She can be with all the men she wants-Jake, the count, and this so-called fiance of her's (which sorta contradicts my point). Or maybe she IS actually in love with Jake, but she doesn't want to admit her true feelings. Even though she is always telling him how much she loves him, it's still "...rotten. There isn't any use [her] telling [him] how much [she] loves him" (page 62), because she is too crazy for him. Her eyes became flat, because she doesn't want him seeing any more into what she really wants. Brett wants Jacob to believe she is going to marry Michael, and maybe she will, but not because of love. I think I am still missing a part of their history together, which will solve this mystery.

Oh yeah, there is also Cohn in the picture. But I'm not completely convinced that Brett even knows he exists or if that relationship has anything to do with the plot.

1 comment:

  1. was it just the name that made you first think she was male? or was it her demeanor/behavior?

    ReplyDelete