Thursday, September 23, 2010

I wonder what APO 96225 means.

{Question 8}

The speaker is so matter of fact in this poem.. He speaks from an objective point of view, so he shows no opinion on anything that happens. But although he doesn't explicitly give an opinion, I sorta get this feeling of resentment too. After the Vietnam war, no one wanted to talk about it. Soldiers weren't welcomed back home. Everything was swept under the rug; everything went back to normal. But the soldiers had to deal with it.

I think what the speaker really wanted to say was: "Don't ask me questions that you don't really want to know the answer to. You don't want to help us deal with anything, so shut up. Everyone is annoying, even you, Mom."

APO=Acting Pilot Officer.. the lowest rank in the Air Force.
So I'm going to take a guess and say that this guy didn't even want to be there, like Tim O'Brien. If I didn't want to go to war, but I was forced to, I would probably already be bitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment