Thursday, September 23, 2010

Darks. Lights. Whites? and Towels

This poem actually seemed simple to understand, which probably means I'm wrong. I still didn't really get the little things.
But here I go...

When the speaker said that the big towels were reserved for the beach, I was reminded of the poem "Dream Deferred". The towels have obviously been used more than for just the beach, because they are faded. So this woman (I'm assuming) and her husband (I'm assuming again) haven't made it to the beach as often (or at all) as they would have liked. They are probably just living their mundane lives, putting of all their dreams and aspirations that they had in the beginning of their relationship.

Their lives weren't depressing or anything, just not exciting. I mean, the only exciting thing I found in the poem was the "pocket surprises", which were pretty boring.
But in the end she basically says that she wouldn't trade any of it for anything. She couldn't fill the empty side of the bed with just her own clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment