Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Still, There Was So Much To Say.

I think I found more motivation for the writing of this book. But I also realized that the lit term "motivation" doesn't meant the author's reason for writing, it means the characters reason for behaving. Buuuut, I'm going to proceed, because Tim is a character and this book is basically about him remembering all these things to write..

Through all Norman's apostrophes, it is easy to tell that when a soldier comes home, he is itching to talk about it, but just doesn't know how. Like I said earlier, no one understands. He keeps replaying fake conversations in his head.. It's so sad. I just want to tell him that I understand that he couldn't save Kiowa..
Norman wanted to talk so bad, but he wouldn't let himself. Then in Tim's own little explication, we find out that Norman actually wanted Tim to write about a man struggling like he did post-war. Tim gave himself purpose by writing all these war stories.

"[The town] did not know shit about shit, and did not care to know" (page 137). (I found this a little bit puny, but in a more serious tone) and then.. "This guy wants to talk about it, but he can't...You were there you tell it" (page 151).

Tim isn't motivated by just preserving these stories, he is motivated by his friends-giving them a voice, so they can move on and find another purpose in their lives.

1 comment: