Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Plain Fact of Crisis

So Tim O'Brien is the narrator? I'm going with that. I don't really know what to say about this chapter.
I'm sorta surprised about his reaction to the war itself. Going into this book I assumed O'Brien was some sort of war buff who willingly dedicated his life to our country.. but not really our country, more like to stopping the Dominoes. He went to Vietnam "because [he] was too embarrassed not to" (page 57). I'm not trying to judge his reasonings, but it does seem kinda lame. But I probably would go through the same process. I hope I wouldn't flee to Canada, but I would definitely think about it. (Not that I would be any help in fighting a war).
I'm curious to know if his philosophies change after serving in Vietnam. I thought this book was going to be inspiring, but now I'm sorta thinking it might just be an "I regret my life" sorta novel.
Nonetheless, it is very well written and I'm enjoying myself. And I have a sneaking suspicion that which ever way his stories take me, I will learn something from them.

I'm also confused about the organization of the book. He started off in Vietnam, telling war stories. Then he flashes forward to sometime after the war, where he and Cross recollect old memories. And then he flashes way back to before he serves in Vietnam. I want to know if this is going to be how the rest of the novel is written, or will I eventually find a real story line?

No comments:

Post a Comment