Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Kết Thúc

When I bought this book way back in June, my brother told me that it was one of his favorites, but it would take me awhile to realize it. As in, the first half and a bit is pretty boring.
And I have to say, those are my feelings exactly.
There was no real development throughout the book, so it took me awhile to get used to.

So, I'm thinking the theme of this book was death. I don't think Tim really wanted us to learn anything from this book. He just wanted to make it interesting, but not necessarily entertaining.
I like how at the end he brings in Linda. I mean, the entire book death was confined to war. Although war might amplify death, it is still a major part of normal life. The analogy helps us relate to the characters on a smaller scale, which is important in any novel.

When I think about how I feel about this book, my mind automatically thinks: "And in the end, really, there's nothing much to say about a true war story, except maybe 'Oh'" (page 74). Personally, I might add a "that was weird".

1 comment: