Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Jensen and Strunk

The juxtaposed chapters. Enemies and Friends. So far I still don't see a plot, even less so than in The Sun Also Rises. O'Brien just writes little tidbits of his memories and categorizes them into typical characteristics of the war he experienced. In these two chapters for instance, he remembers Jensen and Strunk. The two hated each other to the extreme extent that it felt "like fighting two different wars" (page 60). And O'Brien has me thinking that men at war are crazy. I mean the weapons they carry could do a lot of damage, if you think about it. I know when I first started driving, I always thought to myself that I had so much power in this car. You know? Like I could run into things and destroy a lot (Don't think I'm crazy or anything, I know you've all thought about it. Especially those of you who drive SUVs.) I can't imagine having that power times a gillion. So when these guys get angry, they get pretty freaking crazy. Jensen "rattled off an entire magazine of ammunition" (page 60) because he was so ticked off with Strunk. But then I read the next chapter entitled "Friends" assuming it would be about two other people. Nope.. It is about Jensen and Strunk. They hated each other so much, but at the same time, "they learn[ed] to trust each other" (page 62).
These two relationship statuses: Enemies and Friends are complete opposites, and yet I guess in a war,you can be both.

1 comment: