Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Oooohkay. Here we go again.

"If I hadn't seen the doctor pull him out of my wife with my own eyes, I'd never believe he's my son" (page 23 of The Kite Runner.)

I think this is the beginning of a recurring theme throughout the novel. Amir fought so hard through his childhood for a sense of belonging with Baba. All he wanted was to make Baba proud and to be the son he knew his father always wanted. With this came a tinge of jealousy, which is also a big theme of the novel. Amir always saw Hasaan as Baba's dream son. And I don't think this was just a figment of Amir's imagination.. there are several times throughout their childhood that Baba's expectations were met by Hasaan, not Amir. And when Amir finally achieves recognition that will actually make his dad proud, Hasaan "ruins" it. And Amir basically sacrifices the close relationship he had with Hasaan to win over his dad. So although Hasaan was incredibly dedicated and loyal to Amir, the jealousy issues that were present were too strong for Amir to be as loyal to his friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment