Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Pomegranate

"I wished he'd give me the punishment I craved, so maybe I'd finally sleep at night... 'You're a coward!' I said. 'Nothing but a goddamn coward.'" (page 92)

Isn't this ironic? After everything Hasaan had done for Amir, he had the nerve to call him a coward? (just so Amir could actually have the acceptance he craved from his father). I see this pomegranate scene as more of a catharsis for Amir. Although this feeling of relief didn't last very long, I think it was ultimately the reason Ali and Hasaan had to eventually leave. It was a critical point that highlighted Amir's immaturity in dealing with such adult (not even issues that adults should know how to deal with) issues and Hasaan's ability to continue to show love and devotion despite the pain he endured.
Amir's guilt was so powerful he could not deal with it in any other way than shutting out what "caused" it: his best friend. The most ironic part of this is that by ignoring the issue, his guilt was amplified.

No comments:

Post a Comment