Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Soraya

"Soraya pulled me to her and the tears finally came" (page 176)

I would just like to reflect on how strange it is that Amir and Soraya are so compatible. He didn't even know her before he "proposed". I mean seriously, things just don't happen like that. But I think it is important that Amir has someone to finally confide in. He spent his whole life trying to hide himself from his father to get the attention he craved.
I think there is major significance in the fact that Soraya has a questionable past, even if it is not nearly as terrible as what Amir did. I think eventually her opening up to him will allow Amir to open up to her. But I can't quite draw a parallel between their problems other than that they are both problems.
Maybe: Soraya's past is really only an issue because of the double standard held over women in the Afghani culture. Amir's past is rooted in the division of race in the Afghani culture. So.. Hazaras and women. Does anyone see any kind of connection?

No comments:

Post a Comment