Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Basketball

I'm going to try to understand the theme of the play.
I think Laura is a dynamic character. She begins fragile, crippled (although that never changes), and afraid. Amanda assumes that there is no hope for Laura without the care of a "gentleman caller". When the last-chance Joe shows up for dinner, Laura's confidence is completely lost. And then Joe gives her the first kind of positive attention I think she has had forever. He is actually interested in her glass collection, so her spirits rise. Even after Joe leaves, she doesn't resort back to her old timid ways.. "at the end of the speech she lifts [her head] to smile at her mother" (I'm assuming the smile means confidence, but it could actually mean she went crazy)
I also think there is significance in Laura being the one to end the play. So.. at the beginning, Tom is the stable one, supporting the family and he opened the play. And in the end, Tom is gone and crazy and Laura ends the play. I think this means that maybe she is the stable one and we can assume that she must support her family (just Amanda at this point).

I guess I still don't know what the theme is though.

No comments:

Post a Comment