Thursday, October 7, 2010

O O Mother Mother Edward Edward O O

So when I first read this, I wasn't frustrated. I thought that in the beginning he was making excuses for himself.. so he wouldn't have to admit to his mom that he killed his dad. But "momma knows best".. so eventually she sucked it out of him. It was like she wasn't surprised that her husband was dead, which I found funny. She goes straight to his punishment-taking care of business, like most moms.
At the end he blames his mom for all his problems.. I just thought he was a big baby.

But then today in class, I was sort of wrong. The mom wasn't a good lady.. she wanted her husband dead, so she convinced Edward to do it. She doesn't start taking care of business to take care of her son, she does it so she can get all the goody goodies her husband "left" behind. In the end, Edward doesn't blame his mom like baby.. she blames her for convincing him to kill the dad.

I don't get why she wanted the husband dead.. wouldn't all his riches be hers when she was married to him?

1 comment:

  1. Edward's life (towers, horses, hawks) seems to date the setting, which would probably be a time where the heir to a throne/wealth is the son, not the wife.

    ReplyDelete