Thursday, October 7, 2010

Erring Lace

I guess I'll go straight into what this poem is about.. even though I shouldn't.
It's better to be a little bit messy than to be perfect all the time. The speaker gets to this by describing the way clothes are worn... words like thrown,erring, neglected, confusedly, careless, and wild all give the poem an off-beat sort of tone. Not everything is quite right, but it works.
The author also uses a broken rhyme scheme, which gives me a sense of disorder.

There are also some oxymorons, which gives off another sense of chaos and whatnot.
"wild civility"--talking about shoestrings. When I invision this, I think of the laces not being tied. The guy is civil, because he is wearing shoes.. but he is "wild" because he didn't tie them. What a rebel.
"flow confusedly"--ribbons. When something "flows", it usually makes more sense and its easy to get.. so flowing confusedly must mean tangled.

No comments:

Post a Comment