Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.

This story reminds me so much of the book "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas".. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone, even though I did in my small group discussion, but never mind.

The parents tried so hard to keep the outside world away from their son. He was so innocent and naive that he didn't know danger even existed. There was no way he could understand it. So when they kept adding more and more safety features, he really didn't think anything of it. All he knew of the outside world was in fairy tales, which is pretty unrealistic. Ironically, while pretending to be a prince saving Sleeping Beauty, he kills himself on the thing designed to protect him. That must have been frustrating for his parents.
I feel like the author is attacking the parents for wanting to preserve the innocence of their kid, but isn't that natural? Why would you want to introduce violence and oppression to your child?

No comments:

Post a Comment