Thursday, January 27, 2011

Boo hoo

#2 the play is a tragedy.

I think not knowing the play was a tragedy may have been better.. then the audience would not have expected death in the end. I think it would have been less sad if Cassio would have died versus Desdemona, Othello and Emilia. No one really liked Cassio, I don't think. In Act IV, Othello tells Iago that he will murder Desdemona with poison, but then Iago says "Do it not with poison, strangle her in bed..." (IV.i.191) And I thought for sure that it was just Iago stalling so that he could kill Cassio before Othello killed Desdemona and everything would be good.. but I was wrong, which made the ending more tragic than I thought it would be.
I knew someone was going to commit suicide, and it makes most sense that Othello would be the one. Once he found out that Desdemona was actually truthful, he hated himself too much.
Not as sad as Romeo and Juliet, but I give it 48/9 stars. (This was actually better.. Everyone knows Romeo and Juliet die)

No comments:

Post a Comment